Today is #therapeuticmassageawarenessday and I know how much I’m missing having a massage right now! It’s so important as we struggle to take care of loved ones from afar or entertain and school our children, to take time out for ourselves. So I wanted to give you some tips on how you can use some self massage techniques to relax and remove the tension. These are Indian head massage techniques and are easy to do yourself. If you’re pregnant don’t forget you can only use lavender oil safely, and if you’re poorly wait until you recover before you do this.
- Prepare whatever essential oil blend you have to hand, using a base oil like sweet almond or olive oil or body lotion if that’s all you have. Never put essential oil directly onto your skin.
- Use warm oil if you can, a massage candle is perfect for this. Or have a warm bath first, or lay a warm wheat bag on the area just to gently relax the muscles.
- Using your fingers, gently place your hand over your shoulder and pull and squeeze it over the top. Repeat both sides several times.
- Tilt your head to one side. Use the flats of your fingers to press and slide up from your shoulder to under your ear for a full stretch. Repeat both sides.
- Now for your head, take small fistfuls off hair and gently pull. Finish by stroking across the head.
- With two fingers rub with gentle pressure around the base of the skull (the occipital bone), the friction is great for releasing tension.
- Now place the flattened palm of your left hand beside the base of your neck on the right-hand side. Rub along the top of your right shoulder and continue down your right arm. When you reach your elbow, go back to the base of the neck and repeat the action twice. Change arms and work the other side.
I try to do this every day, even while I’m sat at my desk if that’s the only time I have. I hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.